||#SBF2023 CODE OF CONDUCT||
HOW TO BE “CRAZY BULGARIAN”!
GUIDE ON SAFETY, TRUST, ENGAGEMENT, PREVENTION AND SUPPORT
Crazy Bulgarians believe that everyone can and should enjoy swing dancing. We hold in high regard good music, a supportive community, and dancers who know how to properly have fun. This represents all members regardless of age, gender, physique, ethnicity, and appearance, where socializing and being equal is integral part of who we are, as swing dancing and its culture perfectly exemplifies those values. With Sofia Blues Festival (SBF) we bring people together and provide a platform for expressing those true and humane values.
We know that the Blues Dance world is already welcoming, supportive and awesome and that instances of inappropriate behavior are rare. However we crafted our Code of Conduct to carry out our vision acknowledging that we all have a responsibility to build a safe environment and contribute to the well-being of the whole community. Therefore the following code guides our actions at any time or occurrence:
- We are NICE to everyone and treat all people with respect. We do not harass anyone. We do not discriminate according to sex, gender expression or sexual orientation, nor race, religion, or nationality. We treat everyone equally, regardless of age, ability, physical appearance, lifestyle, dance experience or role.
- We are INCLUSIVE and invite others to dance, and we are gracious if turned down. We may say no without giving a reason, but are polite when doing so and if we promise to dance later on, we honor that promise.
- We are RESPONSIBLE for our own physical safety and that of others nearby. We practice safe floor-craft and say sorry if we accidentally bump another person. We do not offer unsolicited advice or instruction, nor perform aerials on the social floor, except in jam circles. If we consume alcohol we do so responsibly, and if we are drunk enough to pose a risk to ourselves or others, we leave the dance floor and retire to the bar.
- We are RESPECTFUL and acknowledge that the personal boundaries of others may not be the same as our own. We are mindful of the appropriateness of behavior or actions that some may find offensive.
- We UNDERSTAND that following the above guidelines ensures a better experience for everyone and that participating in any kind of verbal, physical or sexual abuse will have consequences.
- We PROMISE to treat any reports made, from dancers in our home scenes or elsewhere, with sensitivity and to keep all details as confidential as is possible.
*The guidelines above apply to EVERYONE attending SBF, including members of staff, volunteers, teachers and participants.
We encourage anyone who has experienced or witnessed intimidating or inappropriate behavior to tell SBF organizer:
- Yavor Kunchev
- Sonia Kutishcheva
- Damyan Naydenov
If you prefer to talk in person, or would prefer to speak to another member of staff, you are welcome to do so at any time. Crazy Bulgarians are available for discussion and reassurance – please do tell us about your concerns, even small ones – we’re here for you! Let’s have some great time dancing!